Sunday, April 10, 2011

Plate Tectonic Tour: Post #3: Ring of Fire

Since I talked about volcanoes in the past, and I'm so bored that even that photo of Kamchatka lake couldn't arouse me. So let's talk...
Ok so the Ring of Fire is... well holdup, let me ask Professor Sasha who is coming with me to explore and photograph our next destination. But let's talk about this right now.
Ok, so he just explained it to me... you know, I don't want to say things out of my mouth because I'm so tired, so I'm just going to quote him.
Sasha says:
"The Pacific Ring of Fire (or sometimes just the Ring of Fire) is an area where large numbers of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur in the basin of the Pacific Ocean. In a 40,000 km (25,000 mi) horseshoe shape, it is associated with a nearly continuous series of oceanic trenches, volcanic arcs, and volcanic belts and/or plate movements. The Ring of Fire has 452 volcanoes and is home to over 75% of the world's active and dormant volcanoes. It is sometimes called the circum-Pacific belt or the circum-Pacific seismic belt.
After about 10 million years, the final stage of subduction begins. At depths of as much as 450 miles, the plate becomes so hot that it softens and stops generating earthquakes. But the descent and melting continue until, at some unknown depth, the plate blends with the surrounding mantle material. Eventually this material will emerge along Mid-Ocean Ridges as new sea-floor crust or escape as volcanic lava as the process of subduction comes full circle and our tectonic planet continues to evolve."
Alrighttty so I guess that explains it? Sasha does an excellent job so I'm just going to assume he is right... I'm almost at... Japan.. eh, that's right! So I'll see you there... I honestly don't even know what I'm talking about anymore I feel like there's sand in my eyes but it's probably just eye wax or whatever the heck it's called so peaceee

No comments:

Post a Comment