Monday, April 11, 2011

Plate Tectonic Tour: Post #7: Iceland

Well guys… this is it… no, not for me, for plate tectonics… well actually plate tectonics for me… anyways… I left the Himalayas because I decided that my trip needed to come to an end since I learned so much about convergent divergent and transform plate boundaries and I missed home (well I honestly mainly left because I didn’t want the Yeti to capture me and therefore proceed to consume me). But before I go, I have one more post for you… Iceland. Yeaaaaap I lied, Iceland is my last stop. So we’ll talk about plate tectonics and stuff I did there. My last post is kind of boring because I’m so sad that my trip is over =[. Anyways, let’s get to it.


Iceland offers scientists a natural laboratory for studying - on land - the processes that occur along submerged parts of a divergent boundary. Iceland is splitting along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge - a divergent boundary between the North American and Eurasian Plates. As North America moves westward and Eurasia eastward, new crust is created on both sides of the diverging boundary. While the creation of new crust adds mass to Iceland on both sides of the boundary, it also creates a rift along the boundary. Iceland will inevitably break apart into two separate land masses at some point in the future; as the Atlantic waters eventually rush in to fill the widening and deepening space between.

I typically learned this from… MYSELF. I went to an exhibit to learn about Iceland… just for yo info (ha ha like the “yo”? I thought so… I feel so cool…) Iceland is in the divergent plate boundaries. So enough about since I’m through with this geology stuff… I learned some… interesting things… facts, actually… sooo maybe this will wake you up a lil from reading this post?

Weird Iceland Facts:

Iceland consists of only 290,000 inhabitants/people.

60% of Iceland’s population lives in the capital, Reykjavík

Reykjavík means “Smoke-bay”’ that Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are named after the Norse Gods: Tyr, Odin, Thor and Frey

Beer was banned in Iceland until 1989 Most Icelanders graduate from University at the age of 25-30

Iceland has twice as many sheep as people Boxing wasn’t allowed until 2002

We nearly have 24 hours of sunlight during summer During December we hardly even see the sun

We have 13 Santa Clauses.

We have myths about the Santa Clauses´ parents.

We learn Danish and English from the age of 11

“Sigurrós” (a very successful Icelandic music band) was woted the 10th best band in the world (by Newsweek)

We have made it to The Guinness Book of Records for drinking Coke.

Icelanders consume more Coca-Cola per capita than any other nation

We go to the movies more often per capita than any other nation

Travel + Leisure magazine, with nearly one million subscribers, cited Icelandair as one of the World’s Best International Airlines. Placing eighth with 73.62% of the vote, Icelandair received high marks for cabin comfort, food, in-flight service, customer service and value.

Iceland was the first country in the world to have a female president Our surnames consist of our fathers first name and then “son” or daughter”

We have the cleanest water in the world! We heat our houses with thermal water as well as our outdoor swimming pools

Some of the scenes for the movie “Lara Croft” (starring Angelina Jolie) were filmed on an Icelandic glacier

Also several James Bond movies

Most of Iceland graduate from High school at the age of 20.

Most nightclubs open at around 21:00 after midnight and close up around 8-9 in the morning.

Icelandic people can read scripts that are more than thousand years old, and that they are even taught in High school as Icelandic literature.

The most common names in Iceland are “Jón” like John, “Anna” like Anne.

We believe in elves and dwarves (in a sort of myth-way)

It’s a beautiful island with breathtaking enchanting nature!

Well guys, it's been a blast... but there is a season to life, and this "season" of this "blog" is ending... =[ Hope you learned stuff about plate tectonics, and convergent/divergent/transform plate boundaries... I'm heading back to Seattle, WA. Xbox 360 is waiting at home... Max out! BLAMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment